Thursday, September 21, 2017

Twitter Request Line, Vol. Cruiserweight

Would I let my kids partake in such violence?
Photo Credit: WWE.com
It's Twitter Request Line time, everyone! I take to Twitter to get questions about issues in wrestling, past and present, and answer them on here because 140 characters can't restrain me, fool! If you don't know already, follow me @tholzerman, and wait for the call on Wednesday to ask your questions. Hash-tag your questions #TweetBag, and look for the bag to drop Thursday afternoon (most of the time). Without further ado, here are your questions and my answers:

This question is difficult to answer for two reasons, but I would lean no. Right now, I'm against either of my kids playing football because the CTE risks are off the charts. Obviously, if either one wanted to play (especially my daughter because of the opportunities to dissolve gender hierarchy), I probably would let them under protest because they are, ultimately their own lives. Wrestling carries a similar risk, but at the same time, the siren call of doing something like English-style grappling or a lighter-bumping repertoire might make it a little more easy to palate. The second reason would be that I love wrestling more than any other pastime activity by a large margin. It would give me endless thrills to see either one of my kids make it to a major company on national television as a wrestler, even with all the red flags. Ultimately, I would be against it though for their own safety, but again, their lives are their own. I just gotta hope for the best, y'know?

God, I would have such a hard time choosing between a bratwurst done Milwaukee-style or the Nashville Hot Chicken, so I'd have to get one of each and judge myself. For science.

Also Scott, stop trying to kill me. My cardiologist is already mad enough at you.

I'm a total wimp, so Survivor is out. I live with small children, so I am immune to microaggressions and annoyances, but I'm also terrible at competitions, so no Big Brother. I wouldn't sign the clearance to be on Undercover Boss. In fact, none of those reality competition/real world shows appeal to me. Let me crash at Todd Chrisley's place as his Roy for a couple of episodes though, and I'll be good. So my answer is Chrisley Knows Best. I don't care if that's not a valid answer. It's my answer.

Protected user @adamsgroove asks:
Will we ever have anyone who can make or break a wrestler like Heenan, or is that age long gone?
WWE tested this theory a few years ago by making a "Paul Heyman guy" a thing. It didn't work for either Cesaro or Curtis Axel, and many people believe it actively hurt CM Punk. Basically, Heyman was and maybe still is a positive for Brock Lesnar, but no one else could really feel his magic, if he ever had any to begin with as an on-screen character. Now, one could say WWE didn't really give much support to either Axel or Cesaro, and it treated Punk as an afterthought for much of his 434 day title reign. That being said, one thinks of Bobby Heenan as a guy who got people booed on sight. Was this a maxim? It's hard to say because the eras were so different. It's hard to imagine someone like Axel or Cesaro not getting reactions in Rock 'n Wrestling or even Attitude Era WWE because crowds were different then. It's also hard to imagine Heenan managing someone and them not getting over, even if he probably had examples. However, examples of Heenan Family members being among the most heat-absorbing of their era are so numerous that the Heenan on-sight theory feels correct, right? Anyway, to your question, I'm not entirely sure that era is long past. Maybe someone comes along who's such a heat magnet that he gets someone over just by association. Right now, it feels dead, but who knows. Things change in wrestling all the time.